The purpose of a resume
Your resume is a marketing tool. It needs to demonstrate:
- That you are employable
- How you meet the job and the organisation’s requirements
- That you have the right qualifications and education
- That you have the right experience and skills
- That you have the right level of professionalism for the job
How long should my resume be?
There is no standard length for a resume. A resume varies in length depending on your experience and education. If you haven’t worked much before, one or two pages is best, but three pages is okay if you’ve got a lot of study and work behind you.
Choose a free sample of a modern resume from the list below:
File Name: Blue-grey-resume.docx
File Name: Green-cube-resume.docx
File Name: Student-Resume.docx
File Name: Creative-4.docx
When writing a cover letter, you should:
- introduce yourself
- mention the job (or kind of job) you’re applying for (or looking for)
- show that your skills and experience match the skills and experience needed to do the job
- encourage the reader to read your resume
- finish with a call to action (for example, asking for an interview or a meeting).
Keep it short. A cover letter is meant to be a summary of your resume, so don’t write more than one page.
Choose a free sample cover letter from a selection below:
File Name: Blue-Grey-Cover-Letter.docx
File Name: Green-Cube-Cover-Letter.docx